Absence makes the heart grow fonder…

It’s been a long time since my last post… Why?  Well 2 weeks ago tomorrow I had surgery to remove an Ovarian cyst…

Going in, I really didn’t know what exactly to expect in my recovery.  It seemed like a fairly non-evasive ‘easy’ surgery (is there such a thing??).  Well the day of, it was relatively easy.  It was my first time going “under”… dum, dum, dum…. yeah it actually was fine and not as scary as I always thought and assumed.  I woke up what seemed like an instant later feeling very groggy.  I was not puking my guts out, so bonus – anesthetic does not make me sick! YAY!

Then in recovery, I got my ‘after’ instructions… don’t do all this stuff, blah blah blah.  This included running for 2 weeks!  Ok, 2 weeks, I’ve got this… I’ve been pregnant, I’ve not run for weeks, well maybe not during my last pregnancy, but with Maiya, yeah sure, I didn’t run for over a month.  Well, when you’re on a roll, feeling good, working out 6 days a week, coming off a GREAT half, 2 weeks is hard.  HARD.  I did have a cold (and still do), so that made it easier, but yeah, I admit, I did run a little bit – not a lot, promise, but a tiny little eansy bit, once I felt good.  Don’t tell my doctor, kay?

One thing I did learn, is to never (NEVER), google ‘surgery recovery running’ or ‘laparoscopic surgery running’ or anything else regarding any medical condition.  Google sucks when it comes to all things medical.  Seriously, the only people that EVER post anything on the internet are the ones who had horrible awful complications resulting in MONTHS of time off running.  So here is my contribution to the vast internet knowledge of laparoscopic removal of an ovarian cyst.  It wasn’t too bad.  They cut two very small holes, took out the cyst that was softball sized (I KNOW!  And sorry if you didn’t want to know that much).  I was sore, it took a couple days to work out the CO2 (yes I was gassy – sorry if you didn’t want to know that either).  My pelvis was also sore for a week or so, but they probably wrenched around a bit since I was asleep and all.  Today, 2 weeks later, I feel really good.  My incision is a bit itchy, but the stitches are all dissolved.

And tomorrow… I have the official OK to run again.  I have a date tomorrow night with the trails and I couldn’t be more excited.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s